Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Fundraising Fruit



I remember the days of fund raising only vaguely. I'm probably blocking out all sorts of humiliating moments, standing on neighbor's doorsteps with four-page catalogs of chocolate-covered pretzels and coconut flavored cookies, with nothing but the piddly little ounce of natural charm I could muster up to get me through the experience. And then there was always the easy way out - hand off the catalog to my mother to push on her colleagues. Now that I'm working, it's cosmos payback for all those orders that people placed with me, probably out of pity and with a realistic sense of just how much they actually needed another can of flavored popcorn for the holidays (I have to admit, though, I do love the flavored popcorn). For a mere $25 and a sense of smugness at having made a little girl's list of orders a little bit longer, I am now the proud owner of about 20 oranges and about 15 grapefruits. I'm not sure how we're going to consume so much citrus goodness in the next week before we leave for Christmas, but we will try our little hearts out, and probably end up giving some away (what doesn't make for a nice neighborly Christmas gift but a lovely bouquet of oranges and grapefruits?) I have to admit, fruit is an excellent healthy alternative to all those candies that I used to offer in my catalog. I don't even know what the fund raiser is for (does anybody ever bother to ask?), but I hope she enjoys her new softball uniform, or her new band instrument, or her field trip to Washington D.C. I know I'll enjoy my fruit.

3 comments:

  1. Good for you for supporting her! The only fundraiser I bother with at work is when they bring out the Girl Scout cookies...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm...thin mints and samosas. They are, by far, my favorite too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Juice the buggers, they'll be gone in a couple of days.

    We get magazine choices, mainly. And tho I've signed up and paid for thousands, I've never rec'd one. Not that I really needed a year's worth of "Fly Fishing Monthly"

    ReplyDelete