Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Exploring Brussels


When we first began talking about moving to Belgium, there was a time that I was rooting adamently and passionately for living in Brussels. There, I was sure, I would be able to carve a niche out in the expat community, I would feel like I was living more of a cosmopolitan life, and I would, most likely, find an easy commute to a job in the city.

We, of course, didn't end up there, but we're close enough sometimes to feel the city's tugs and nudges. I have been to Brussels several times since we settled in Leuven, for various errands. We spent a weekend there a couple of weeks ago, after the last of my Dutch Level 2 test, and we walked from the north to the south in one go on Sunday morning, through dreary skies and bustling markets. I came away feeling like I knew the city just a little bit better. It's a city that has a lot in common with my former home - Philadelphia, with a brooding center that will also take your breath away with its monstrous, elaborate, and yet lonely architecture. Brussels, I feel, has that same personality, a monumental but serious beauty, one who will let you admire all you want, but will give you the cold shoulder if you try to snuggle up too close.


A city with its shoulders clenched a bit, built for deep-cutting winds and dreary rains. Or perhaps it's because I've never been there on a sunny day. Either way, I guess I prefer my cities with this kind of personality. Like feeling a city's flexed muscles. Its pose should be unwavering.

2 comments:

  1. Woo, pictures! I'm not sure if the photos really do make it look like a city hunkered down, or your description just shaped how I viewed the pics.

    Either way, thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well said. I agree - I think a city should overwhelm, as a monument to society and what people can create. But I don't recall that Brussels was all cold stone and hard edges. There was a lot of old world charm. Or maybe I polished that memory a bit.

    In any case, wonderfully described.

    ReplyDelete