Friday, April 9, 2010

A sloppy lunch

I work with the public, and my office is off the main lobby of our building. It's an area that's normally swarming with people by 11 a.m. or so, and I can see it all happening - shortly after I began here, my boss insisted a window be put in my door. So people could see if I was in. Brilliant idea for someone who works with the public, so long as they always look presentable. Normally, I don't mind. It keeps me connected.

Then there are the indelicate moments. I usually eat lunch in my office - browse the web or read a magazine or just work through the hour on something with a deadline. The leftover lunch after spaghetti night is always a social gamble that I make because it's just too delicious to give up. Let me clarify, I never learned how to eat spaghetti properly. Whenever I try, I always end up with a forkful that's way too big to fit in my mouth, or tiny nubs of spaghetti that are impossible to catch with utensils. I go for the all-out stuffing method. Grab a forkful and fit as much in your mouth as possible. Then bite. The slop, the mess, the potential for serious stainage is all something I take into consideration, but my partiality to the meal always wins out. So, when I'm hunched over, stuffing like mad, and I hear a faint knock at my door only to look up and see a colleague eying me awkwardly and shifting anxiously through my little window, all I can do is finish the bite, wipe my mouth, and pleasantly wave them in.

3 comments:

  1. I would have to put a curtain over that window during lunch or something. It makes me self-conscious enough eating in front of the person at the desk next to me. Of course, he's a healthy rabbit-food kinda guy, and I'm a chicken fingers kinda girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the few things I like about working in an office setting is the comaraderie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A curtain would be good, but I'm too nervous all my coworkers will think I'm hiding something. Another coworker has the same window, but it's frosted glass! How come they couldn't do that for me?

    ReplyDelete