Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Who are you again?

When I was in college, I had a professor with 80 plus students in his class every semester, and by the third week of class, everyone sat back with their mouths open while he took role by mumbling each name to himself, glancing up, and nodding towards the corresponding face. He had memorized all of us. I was later a teaching assistant for him and learned his tricks. He watched the students in his class like a hawk. He wrote down details in the first two weeks -about their features, but most importantly, the people in his past that a particular student conjured up in his memory. I, in fact, reminded him so much of someone named Susan that, more than once, he shouted the name once when I stood in his office doorway, before quickly apologizing and correcting himself. He assured me that, once you got to his age -- You've already met every type of person, and it's just a matter of categorizing them accordingly. How strange. But, it seemed to work. He could tell you, within every class, who was friends with who, who was just hoping for a decent passing grade because they were getting married at the end of term, who was struggling with the content and who would pass with an A without studying. He was a sociology professor, and so he was innately interested in people and in categories. Teaching, for him, was the perfect fusion of the two. I wondered at how neat it all was.

I recently saw a woman from a different department at work, a woman I don't interact with much, and I proceeded to have a full conversation with her before walking away and realizing she wasn't the person I thought she was. I suppose, in reflecting about it, the conversation was just vague enough to allow her to respond, perhaps with suspicion, without saying flat out that she had no idea what I was talking about. I asked if she had found a document she was looking for, and then I asked about her trip (a simple "How was your trip?" Everyone goes away every now and then, right?) Perhaps she didn't notice. Perhaps she did and was just being polite. I was lucky I didn't ask her something more direct.

But now I have to think back to Professor Category. I don't seem to be very good at remembering people. I can think of a few occasions in the last year when I've been introduced to someone and they've replied immediately "Oh, we've met before," with me trying to seamlessly change the gesture of holding out my hand for a first-time handshake to some other cool, natural movement. I try and nod like I know. But sometimes I just have no idea. And don't get me started on remembering names.

It seemed a bit too impersonal and sinister, his way of categorizing people. His quip that eventually everyone in your life is just a repeat of someone you've already met. But I guarantee, he remembers everyone who visits him. And, he remains one of the most popular professors at the university. So, here's to a little memory trick. Perhaps next time I begin a job, I'll work a little harder at the categories.

3 comments:

  1. We have got to get more comments around here because your pieces are just too good. Let me work on that one...

    I'm so glad to hear you say this because I am just awful when it comes to remembering people. If I know them walking a dog but see them somewhere dogless -- perfect stranger. All the time people know me and I don't know them. Here's my way of covering up for the dumbfounded look on my face: "Wow. I was just thinking about you the other day."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hiker - That's very sweet about the comments, but it's totally my fault. I have gotten shamefully lazy about networking. I am completely flattered that you visit my site at all, veteran blogger and writer god that you are.

    Ooh, that line is good. I'll try and use it myself sometime. They never ask for context? "Oh! Why?" That would throw me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw a speaker once who did a whole schpiel on remember people's names. It was like, find a facial feature, hair color, something that stands out to you, and make a word association. I can't think of an example, but one of his big points was just to actually pay attention when someone tells you their name. I'm guilty of that; I've forgotten a name 5 minutes after I've been told.

    Glad you weren't found out. Or at least called out :)

    ReplyDelete