Thursday, January 7, 2010

My to-do lists

When I start to feel a little overwhelmed at work, I often start a to-do list - scrap paper, a pen, my scribbly handwriting, and a quick 30 seconds makes the day suddenly seem much more orderly (take that, technology!). Today, I did so around 10 a.m., and this represents the internal dialogue I had at 11 a.m. - a dialogue that I often have with myself throughout my working days as I turn back, periodically, to that to-do list:

Yes! Finished something else. Can scratch it off my list. Where is my list? Ah yes, here we go -- e-mail to Christine, done! Hmmm, where is...? Oh. I didn't add that e-mail to my to-do list. Wow. That's too bad, it would be really nice to see something scratched off my list for the effort I went to. I mean, it did take me a good 15 minutes, and it was productive. Hmm. Maybe I'll just add it to the list. E-m-a-i-l C-h-r-i-s-t-i-n-e...That really deserves an exclamation point, too - it was pretty important. And -- drum roll, please! Line through it! Mission accomplished! That's THREE things on my list with lines through them!

I really wonder if this is normal.

3 comments:

  1. Definitely normal, 'cause I mean, I do it too. Especially the part where I add things to the list that I've already done just so I can mark them out. So it must be normal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephanie, you seem particularly organized and together, and if you do it, maybe there's hope for me yet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you draw a line through 'write something witty'?

    ReplyDelete