Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Whitewater

I have gone whitewater rafting three times in my life - all three with the same route, on the New River in West Virginia. I have a friend who is a huge rafting enthusiast (I don't use the word 'enthusiast' lightly, but that she is), and she accompanied me down the river the first time, and graduated to raft guide for the subsequent trips. I thought when I was first convinced to go that if there's any extreme sport, this one's surely for me. I took to water when I was young like a fish takes to...ahem...water (if the metaphor fits, I guess...). What's a short swim through some white water? I become one with any body of water the minute I'm immersed, and I was sure I could take it.

The first time, I managed to stay in the raft all the way down the river. It was a pretty light trip, and I was actually surprised at how easy it seemed. But whitewater and I made for a troubled marriage. I would learn that it was just not meant to be. The second trip, I took a plunge when we were surfing in a whitewater hole. An easy plunge, mind you, that plenty of people take. I went under the raft, pushed around like a ragdoll going through the permanent press cycle, bubbles flying and my head kicked around so much that I wasn't sure which end was up. I came to the water's surface, with the aid of my life vest, gasping and sputtering. That, dear friends, was the end of that. My love affair with whitewater had officially and suddenly come to a clumsy end. I braved the last trip solely so my husband could see the beautiful West Virginia mountains, and I clung for dear life to the side of the raft with knuckles so tight they competed for the whitest thing on the scene. I am not cut out for extreme sports in any way. Nothing even remotely intense. I'll take my jog through the park, thank you very much, and leave the other stuff to the professionals.

My friend visited this weekend, and told wild stories (she always has them) about her trips down the New and the Gauley, animatedly motioning with her hands to represent the flow of the water, the tip of a particularly mean rock. She talked about people making clumsy splashes, and others getting their foot wedged underwater, only to be pulled up minutes later. Some of her stories ended with a chuckle, some with a gasp and an open mouth. I sat back while I nodded and reacted, sipped my tea, listened to the steady tick of the clock, and relaxed.

3 comments:

  1. I'm with you. The safest place for whitewater rafting is listening about it from the couch. Pretty sure you couldn't even get me to try it once.

    Hey, do you mind if I add you to my blogroll so I (and I suppose the handful of people that read my blog) can see when you update?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephanie,

    Yes, feel free to add me to your blogroll! I've been thinking I should set up a list myself...I'll get around to it one of these days.

    Yes, the fun of whitewater rafting is so not worth the nerves and the possibility of serious dunk-age. I wholeheartedly endorse you staying away from it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comment on my blog! I'm impressed that you even tried whitewater rafting- I'm too much of a wimp. But I agree, WV is beautiful. I wouldn't have probably seen the sites there if my sister and her husband hadn't moved there. They live in the middle of nowhere in the mountains and it's gorgeous. It's always nice to visit and go hiking and see the sites.

    Thanks again for reading my little blog and commenting. It's always nice to "meet" the folks who read.

    Best,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete