Monday, October 12, 2009

Speaking of overheard conversations

I rode the bus several months ago with a couple of school girls who sat across from me, and I found myself unable to concentrate on my book due to their slightly loud conversation.  (In other words- I also really enjoyed eavesdropping to their crazy stories, and put my book down all too willingly).  One was tall and thin with a bushel of blonde curly hair that she couldn't keep her fingers out of.  Her legs seemed very white to me.  She did most of the talking.  The other, with short hair pulled back in a tight ponytail, had retro black glasses on, a dark green army-style backpack, and sat most of the time with her hands in her lap.  Both were wearing Catholic school-girl skirts.   They apparently went to the same high school, but the awkward conversation that ensued clearly indicated that they were neither friends,= nor hung in similar crowds...this was my assumption after hearing the hands-in-lap girl preface everything she said with "I'm a big dork, but..." (which I read as - I'm incredibly self-conscious around you, and don't know quite how much I should reveal about myself to you...). She also said at one point "I guess everyone in school thinks we're pretty weird...", and with that, the blond, leggy one rebuttaled with avoidance, tinged slightly with meanness: "Everyone in school knows who you are.  You and Kelly.  You guys are always together.  Are you guys going to the same college?  Everybody knows who you are."  (which I read as -  Yes.  Everyone thinks you're incredibly weird.  Partly because you're always together.  What are you, like, a couple or something? And everyone, in turn, talks about your weirdness and your too-close relationship with Kelly with everyone else.)  Kind of sad.  

The piece of their conversation I found the most funny was when the hands-in-lap girl said that she wanted to be a photo-journalist for National Geographic.  Leggy blond replied right away "Me TOO!  Oh my gosh!  We have the same ambitions!"  They then promptly agreed that they would just DIE if they had to work a regular, 9-5 day job.  I had to smile a little bit - I probably said similar things in high school too.  Little do you know when you're younger...a 9-5 actually isn't the worst thing in the world.  Your own time is yours, and you get to come home to a warm house and a home-cooked meal, rather than a hotel in...well, if you work for NG, it could be in any wayward corner.  But, I suppose I won't knock them too hard. Those are the types of big dreams you're supposed to have when you're looking at your whole life spread out in front of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment